It is one of the most suggestive centers of Calabria and certainly one of the most important in the province of Crotone (from which it is about 26 Km.), Santa Severina stands on a rocky cliff 326 meters above sea level, rising in the middle of the Neto river valley. Because of its particular location it is called the "stone ship".
Santa Severina was probably founded by the Enotri, an Italic people that lived in the area before the Greek colonization. The ancient name of the village was Siberene.
There are not many news and monumental remains of the Greek - Roman period. The change of the name from Siberene to Severiana is attributed to the Roman period.
With the advent of the Byzantines (which gave the city its current name), Santa Severina becomes a very important religious center. In fact, it was the episcopal seat of the metropolitan area, directly dependent on Byzantium.
Santa Severina gave birth to Pope Zaccaria (pontiff from 741 to 752), the Byzantine domination continued until 1073 - 1074 (except for a brief occupation of the Arabs from 840 to 886) around 1075 - 1076, Roberto Guiscardo led the Normans to conquer the city. Even in the Norman period, the importance of Santa Severina as a cultural and religious center is remarkable.
The city was later ruled by the Swabians, the Angevins and the Aragonese. It then passed into the hands of powerful feudal lords such as Carafa, Ruffo and Grutter.
In recent history, the agrarian reform of 1950, which changed the social structure of the country, was of considerable importance.
Today, thanks to its remarkable artistic heritage, Santa Severina is one of the most interesting tourist destinations in Calabria.